An annuity can help you protect and grow your retirement savings, giving you confidence that you'll have the income you need to do more of what you love in retirement.
What are annuities?
Annuities are a type of financial product that can help you save for retirement and provide you with a steady stream of guaranteed income payments. Payments can be set up to last for either a specific number of years or the rest of your life, and can start right away or on a future date.
An annuity is a contract with an insurance company and can only be purchased through a financial professional.
Why should I consider an annuity?
Annuities can help address common concerns that today’s retirees face, such as:
- Living longer - “Will I run out of money?”
Annuities may provide guaranteed income payments that you can’t outlive.
- Unpredictable markets - “What will happen to my savings if there’s volatility?”
Because many types of annuities offer some level of protection from market volatility, an annuity can be a protected portion of your portfolio while other investments have the potential to grow.
- Changes to traditional retirement income planning - “Without a pension, how else can I create a steady stream of income?”
Annuities may supplement other income sources such as Social Security to help cover everyday expenses in retirement.
- Rising healthcare expenses - “Do I have enough to cover the cost of care for myself and my family in retirement?
While your specific healthcare costs are unpredictable, monthly income payments from an annuity can be used to help with expenses not otherwise covered by insurance and Medicare.
What are the types of annuities?
Finding the right annuity for your financial goals starts by understanding the four main types, each of which has specific characteristics and offers some level of protection that can vary by the insurance company offering them:
- Income annuities provide a guaranteed stream of income payments that can last for your lifetime or the lifetime of you and a spouse, starting either immediately or in the future.
- Fixed annuities provide growth at a guaranteed interest rate with no risk of market loss.
- Index-linked annuities allow you to select and participate in growth opportunities by tracking the performance of a market index like the S&P 500®,2 up to a certain percentage or cap rate, while offering a level of protection from down markets.
- Variable annuities provide investment options you may choose from to potentially grow your retirement savings, depending on market performance. It may also offer other features (typically, for an additional fee) that can provide living benefits like guaranteed income for life.
What We Offer
Brighthouse Financial offers annuities to suit a variety of needs, two of which are:
How to Buy a Brighthouse Financial Annuity
Our annuity products can only be purchased through a financial professional.
Some questions that can help you begin a conversation with your financial advisors are:3
- Do I have a diverse balance of income sources that’s right for the retirement I want?
- Will my essential expenses be covered with my current income sources, or could there be a gap I need to address?
- If an annuity is recommended for me, which type would be the right addition to my portfolio?
Don’t have a financial advisor?
Brighthouse Financial® is on a mission to help people achieve financial security.
Trusted by over 2 million customers and with 2.5 million annuity contracts and life insurance policies in force, Brighthouse Financial® is proud to be a FORTUNE® 500 company and one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S.4