Effective: January 1, 2020
This information is provided pursuant to the rights afforded to California consumers under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the “CCPA”) and pertains to Brighthouse Financial’s collection or processing of personal information in the past 12 months (as personal information is defined by the CCPA).
The following disclosures only apply if you are a resident of California and have a relationship with Brighthouse Financial as a visitor browsing BrighthouseFinancial.com or BrighthouseFinancialPro.com, an individual submitting marketing communication preferences, or a registered stockholder of Brighthouse Financial. The disclosures do not apply to information that is not covered by the CCPA, including, for example, information that we collect online or otherwise from consumers that apply for or maintain Brighthouse Financial products or services.
Personal Information Collected, Use, and Disclosure:
As a visitor browsing brighthousefinancial.com or brighthousefinancialpro.com, a consumer submitting marketing communication preferences, or a registered stockholder, Brighthouse Financial may collect personal information about you, including personal identifiers, online identifiers, internet or other electronic network activity, commercial information (e.g. marketing preferences or stockholder account information), audio, electronic, visual, or similar information (e.g. stockholder service call recordings), characteristics of protected classifications under California of federal law (e.g. age or citizenship), and other personal information as defined in the California customer records law (e.g. financial information). We collect this information from our websites, from you directly, and through our service providers’ interactions with you.
We may use your information to operate and maintain our business or otherwise to accomplish our business purposes and objectives. For example, depending on your relationship with us, we may use personal information to maintain and service your account, to develop and improve our products and services, to communicate with you and fulfill your requests, for security purposes, to detect and prevent fraud, to audit consumer transactions and interactions, for advertising, marketing, and analytics purposes, to conduct research, to comply with legal requirements or exercise/defend legal claims, and to perform other necessary and appropriate internal functions.
We also disclose the same categories of personal information described above to external or affiliated entities for business purposes, such as vendors providing services for Brighthouse Financial or assisting us in fulfilling your transactions. For example, these entities may include information technology vendors, companies that provide marketing, advertising, and analytics services (e.g. email management databases or website analytics vendors) or operational service providers (e.g. our stockholder transfer agent).
Brighthouse Financial does not sell the information of minors under the age of 16.
Your California Rights:
Under the CCPA, California consumers are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information, including:
- the right to disclosure of the categories and specific pieces of your personal information that we collect, use, disclose, or sell (no more than two times within a given twelve-month timeframe);
- the right to deletion of your personal information that we maintain in certain limited contexts;
- the right to non-discrimination, meaning we will not discriminate against a consumer because you have exercised your rights under the CCPA; and
- the right to request information about the type of data collected from consumers and the categories of third parties to which personal information is sold.
California consumers also have the right to opt out from the sale of personal information to third parties. In the past twelve months, Brighthouse Financial has not “sold” personal information subject to the CCPA.
Making a Request:
- Access and Deletion Requests: To request access to or deletion of your personal information, please fill out the electronic form at: https://www.brighthousefinancial.com/privacy-policy/ca-consumer-request-form or call our toll-free number at (844) 474-8372, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., ET. If you would like to submit a request by mail, please follow the directions at the bottom of the electronic form.
To protect the security of your information, all access and deletion requests will require verification of your identity. The information you provide on the submission form must match the information we know about you. Additionally, if you request specific pieces of your information or the deletion of certain information, you may be required to provide a signed declaration under penalty of perjury and otherwise authenticate your identity.
- Requests by Authorized Agents: You are permitted to designate an authorized agent to make a CCPA consumer request on your behalf. Your authorized agent can use the methods described above to submit the request and will be required to provide proof of authorization.
Changes to this Disclosure
Brighthouse Financial may change or update these California Privacy Rights and Disclosures by posting the revised version to www.brighthousefinancial.com/online-privacy.
For More Information
For questions about Brighthouse Financial's privacy policies and practices, contact us at the below information:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (844) 474-8372
- Send mail to the following address:
Brighthouse Financial Privacy
PO Box 49781
Charlotte, NC 28277